Monday, December 5, 2011

Remember, Remember... something November

Happy November Everyone!

It seems that this month has come and gone all too quickly. I tried to think of a clever title for this posting, but I think it's suppose to go "Beware Beware..." I don't know, so I left it as is.

November 2011... What is there to say? First off, it was my brother Tony's 24th birthday! I can't believe that we're officially in our mid twenties... or, well that he's in the mid and I'm in the late. I bet our parents can't believe it either.  November is also when our dog Rocco was born, I think he was born on November 2nd actually. He's officially two human years old.

This month we also got to participate in Alica's uncle, Sybren's annual cook off. This year the theme was salads. I'm just now realizing that we didn't take any photos that night! Bummer. Well to describe it as best as possible.... There were about 30 salad entries and everyone got to partake of each others entries making for an amazing and healthy dinner! There were two winning categories, Most Original and Best Overall. Alicia and I put together a gourmet salad - Salmon and Hearts of Palm with a lemon caper vinaigrette.

Unfortunately we did not win, nor place in the top three... But it was such a great time! It was fun seeing all the different types of salad and meeting new people. We're definitely looking forward to next years competition.

November is also the start to the holiday season! We spent our Thanksgiving day at my cousin's house in Westlake, CA. It's quite a drive but it's worth it. After picking up my mom at her house, we loaded the car and drove out. We had a delicious Thanksgiving lunch consisting of two types of turkey, smoked and oven baked, the traditional fixings, then of course the Asian fixings. I think that's one of the best things about our Thanksgiving meals, it's always your traditional eats and then some.  Lisa and Craig recently renovated their house with a brand new kitchen and wood flooring, we appreciate them opening their hour year after year for family get togethers.



My uncle also decided to break out his mochi maker (It's a Wikipedia link, but at least you'll get the gist of it). He had everything prepared the night before and it was just a matter of steaming and then impelling the rice into a sticky white gum paste. We had little to no idea what we were doing... But after about four rounds we got the hand of it! We made some plain and we also made some that were stuffed with azuki bean! Delicious.


Hope that this month has treated you well and that you're prepared for the holiday season! Alicia and I are excited to be celebrating our first holiday season together as a married couple. We were just talking the other night that in just about four more months we will have been married for one year! Man, time really does fly when you're having fun with your best friend.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment